Monday, September 24, 2012

My House Tour: Master Bathroom

Finally, the itsy bitsy teeny weeny master bathroom reno has crossed the finish line!  This little space has caused me lots of headaches!  If you will remember, it all started here when my husband told me he was ready to rip out the old bathroom and I had about a nanosecond to get a design plan together (not good for me because I like to take my time and think things over).  This was in January and it is now September.  Seriously?
 
I started out with these inspiration photos from a Windsor Smith room...
 
 
and this design board:
 
 
Somehow this concept never really came together and I was very frustrated.  I always think that great designers get everything right the first try (at least that's the impression I get from TV shows and magazines) but I know that in reality every designer makes mistakes, even if they don't really talk about it.  I have figured out that I learn more from my mistakes than my successes.  I think a good designer is someone who knows when something is wrong and can determine the best way to correct it. 
 
So after everything was installed, I took stock of the bathroom.  I determined that I loved the tile and fixtures in the shower, the floor tile, and the moldings that we used for the trim.  What wasn't working for me was the color scheme from the Windsor Smith photos.  It just didn't translate to my bathroom.  There was just too much white and not enough opportunities to introduce those "pops" of color.  I was too ashamed to take any photos at this point, so unfortunately I don't have any to illustrate my point. 
 
After deciding that a new color scheme was in order, I turned to my new favorite color website Design Seeds and this is what they had waiting for me:
 
 
I had already painted the vanity green, so this was a perfect palette to pull together the green vanity and the grays found in the marble vanity top, the pattern on the floor, and the grout in the shower.
 
I selected a paint color for the walls, purchased some new hand towels and art, and the whole thing finally came together. 
 
Here's a reminder of the before:
 

 

 
 
Here's the finished product:

 
 
 
 
Here are the details:

 
The white walls were painted Valspar's City Retreat (ar1416) which is a soft grayish/purple.  The lantern pendant is from Lighting Universe.
 
 
We splurged on the framless glass shower door since it is the first thing you see when you enter this teeny tiny space.  I love the curvilinear detail on the door handle.
 
 
I replaced the old vanity with a stock vanity from Southeastern Salvage.  It isn't really that much different than the old one except that it has a drawer underneath and doesn't smell old and musty!  I painted it Benjamin Moore's Nile Green and added hardware from Anthropologie.
 
 
The vanity also got a marble top and a polished chrome faucet from Lowe's.
 
 
The shower walls are American Olean white subway tile with dark gray grout.  The shower fixtures are Delta, all from Lowe's. 
 
 
The shower floors are American Olean hexagon mosaic tile with dark gray grout, again from Lowe's.
 
 
 
The bathroom floor is encaustic cement tile from Villa Lagoon Tiles.
 
Here are a few shots of the finishing touches:
 
 
 
 
This room makes me so happy!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing - LOVE IT! The finishing details really bring everything together. I know you are so glad to be done - and back in your own bed/room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bathroom is delightful ! Thanks so much for the photos and the link. We are charmed how classy your small bathroom is. Lundy at Villa Lagoon Tile

    ReplyDelete